Posted: Jul 5, 2012 10:14 AM by Mark Thorsell - KPAX News
Updated: Jul 5, 2012 1:57 PM
ALBERTON- A campfire may be to blame for an early Thursday morning fire that scorched about of a quarter-of-an-acre off of Interstate 90 in Mineral County.
The Frenchtown Rural Fire Department responded to a call near mile marker 72 just before 6:30 a.m. after receiving reports of a blaze burning in grass that was spotted by a passing motorist.
Frenchtown firefighter and EMT Mel Holtz says the blaze, that burned in grass and some nearby trees, may have been sparked by a campfire.
No injuries were reported and no structures burned in the fire that was put out by around 8:30 a.m.
Frenchtown fire crews also responded to a number of calls on Wednesday night, ranging from fireworks to controlled burns.
- information from Bernie Riggs