Latest Update

Aug 18, 2011 5:58 PM by Melissa Anderson (KXLH-Helena)

Death of Helena man following Taser incident being investigated

HELENA - Roger Alan Chandler of Helena, who was Tased by authorities late Sunday night, died on Wednesday morning at a Great Falls hospital.

The incident that caused the Tasing occurred around 9:40 p.m. on Sunday when a complaint came into dispatch about a man acting violently at a home located on the 800 block of Ross Road.

Lewis & Clark County Sheriff Leo Dutton said that Chandler, 41, had burst out of a camper next to the home and was "out of control."

Dutton said that his deputies were left with no choice but to Tase the man, whom he described as having 'excited delirium' which is similar to what chronic drug abusers show.

Dutton said officers acted again with the stun gun when Chandler's erratic behavior and lack of response continued.

According to Lewis & Clark County Coroner Mickey Nelson, the exact cause of Chandler's death is under investigation.

Nelson said, "At this point there is some medical...why he died, but at the same time until the autopsy has been concluded and toxicology, I'm not going to make a determination at this point."

The Montana Criminal Investigation Bureau is also investigating the incident. Final results from the coroner's inquest and the state investigation will be turned over to the County Attorney's office for further review.

Chandler worked as a manager at the Quarry Bar & Grille in downtown Helena.

As a key employee he managed over 30 people at the restaurant. Co-workers and others were said to be shocked over hearing the news, even though many knew he was in the process of a divorce.

Robert Quinn of TQ Management said, "We weren't aware of any of the problems that have came to light through what has happened over the last several days."

Neighbor Brian Brewer said, "I met him a couple of times across the street. Helped him put a roof back on his house after the wind blew off. He seemed like a pretty nice guy."

Final results from the corner's inquest and the state investigation will be turned over to the County Attorney's office for further review

The Montana Criminal Investigation Bureau is investigating the incident.

Related Stories


»Topics in this article

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular