Montana News

Dec 31, 2012 7:11 PM by Lindsey Gordon - MTN News

Details emerging in Helena woman's disappearance

HELENA - The woman who went missing from the Helena YWCA on December 11th has been found, safe and sound. Angelica Gray is now in the custody of the Los Angeles Police Department.

The Helena Police Department was notified that Gray was arrested on Saturday, over a week after James Alexander Lee was arrested in Madera County, California for his possible connection with Gray.

Investigators have surveillance video of Lee and Gray trying to get a hotel room in the early morning of December 12th. They were also seen that day at a homeless facility in Missoula and given gas money by a church representative. Their vehicle was sighted later that day near Bonner.

After Lee was picked up, investigators determine that there was no indication he was holding the 22-year-old mother of two unlawfully.

"We have no indication he's not telling the truth and the investigation so far has largely corroborated Lee's statements," Helena Police Chief Troy McGee said.

Lee told police that he dropped her off in California, where she had planned to start a new life. Gray had been living at the YWCA in Helena with her two children.

"We're so thrilled that she's alive. Now we just have to get to the bottom of what happened. It does not make sense, because she was working so hard on her life here. Maybe we'll never know, but it just doesn't make sense," YWCA Executive Director Kellie McBride said.

There are still many details we don't know yet, like why she would leave everything behind. Derek VanLuchene of Ryan United said that we should focus on what's important.

"It does sort of create that, well how could she?, how could she do that around the holidays, and things like that, but again, the main thing is that she's safe and that she's found and the other circumstances around it, you know, those are things she's going to have to deal with.

But for now he says, there are too many unknown details to draw any conclusions.

We contacted the Lewis and Clark County Attorney's Office, but were told there was no one there who could talk to us. We do know that Gray is waiting to be extradited back to Montana.

Related Stories


Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular