Posted: Apr 28, 2012 7:04 PM by Tara Oster (KPAX News)
Updated: Apr 29, 2012 10:44 AM
MISSOULA- Rebecca Robbins lost everything in an early Friday afternoon fire that destroyed her home in the small town of Dixon.
"I'm in a fog... I never thought this would happen," she said.
Robbins wasn't home when the fire broke out, but told us she thinks it may have been sparked by a space heater that she used to keep her two exotic parrots warm.
"I think that's what caught fire. So it caught fire to the birds first and I guess it was in full roar with in two minutes."
Robbins had owned the exotic birds for 35 years and told us she only knows for sure that a dog and one cat survived the fire.
She's still searching for her three King Charles Spaniels and two cats. One cat is a large grey and white male and the other is a small tiger stripped female with a knot at the end of her tail.
"If anybody sees my dogs or cats please take them to the animal shelters," Robbins said.
She added that area animal shelters are aware of the potentially missing animals and will tell her immediately if they are turned in.
Fire officials told us they don't know the exact cause of the fire yet and at this point they are still assessing the total damages.
Robbins said the community in Dixon has been helping her in any way they can, but she is without even the most basic necessities
"And I don't have anything. What you see me in is what I have," Robbins said referring to her borrowed sweater.
Anyone looking to help by donating money can do so at the Missoula Federal Credit Union under the name Rebecca Robbins.
Donations of furniture, clothes or food can be dropped off at Gambles Hardware in St. Ignatius and there are also donation jars set up at the Old Mission.