Continuous News

Sep 14, 2010 10:00 PM by Andrea Lutz

Flathead dog sick with blue, green algae

KALISPELL -A local dog is poisoned after swimming in a Kalispell body of water.

The dog had been swimming in Middle Foys Lake and shortly afterward began vomiting. When her owners brought the dog Annabelle into Veterinarian Kelly Rankin, they discovered that she had come down with Blue-Green Algae Poisoning.

The rare occurance in Middle Foys Lake has caused the dog's liver to begin failing and now Rankin says she's in bad shape.

"She's suffering from the effects of liver toxicity and feels not good at all. Now we're dealing with some problems that are coagulating the blood internally and she's in tough shape," explains Dr. Kelly Rankin.

Rankin says the rare occurance happens to algae only when conditions are right, but is typically fatal to all dogs. She remains optimistic, but says you should remember to keep your pets out of stagnant bodies of water such as Middle Foys Lake.


Officials say that a dog is close to death and battling liver failure after contacting water in Middle Foys Lake that was likely contaminated with blue-green algae.

Kalispell Veterinarian Kelly Rankin is continuing to treat a dog which was exposed a few days ago to what appears to be a deadly toxin which occurs naturally in bodies of water that are warm, shallow and undisturbed.

The consumption of water that's heavily laden with blue-green algae (also called cyanobacteria), may cause rapid death in animals and often times treatment is unsuccessful.

Humans exposed without consuming the contaminated water can sometimes experience respiratory problems according to the Flathead City-County Health Department.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular