Education News

Dec 23, 2012 1:00 PM by KPAX/KAJ Media Center

Missoula College offering program to help veterans

MISSOULA - Veterans can now get some help to take classes in Missoula

The Veterans Retraining Assistance Program, which offers up to 12 months of training assistance to unemployed veterans, is now available at Missoula College.

Veterans Affairs approved Missoula College to use the program last week, and veterans must be enrolled full-time in an approved program of education offered by a community college or technical school to use the program.

"Eligible veterans who already are enrolled will be identified, and their payments will be processed by the end of the week - including any retroactive payments," said Ron Muffick, director of student financial services with Montana's Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education.

UM officials recently learned a handful of Missoula-area veterans had qualified for VRAP, but were unable to use the funding to attend Missoula College.

"It was a matter of filling out the right paperwork as soon as we learned there was a problem," UM President Royce Engstrom said. "I'm glad we have this bureaucratic issue solved. We want to do everything in our power to assist our veterans with their education and civilian lives."

To be eligible for VRAP, veterans must be at least 35 years old; be unemployed on the date of application; have received an other-than-dishonorable discharge; not be eligible for other VA education benefit programs; not receive VA compensation because of unemployability; and not be enrolled in any federal or state job-training program.

Learn more about the program by clicking here.

Connect with KPAX Facebook Twitter Email


Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular