Oct 25, 2013 12:12 PM by Dax VanFossen - KAJ News
EVERGREEN - Two adults and a child were inside of a motor home when it exploded in the Evergreen area Wednesday. Reporter Dax VanFossen spoke with the property owner and family as they struggled to deal with the aftermath.
An Evergreen neighborhood just outside of Kalispell was rocked by what appears to have been a propane tank explosion in a recreational vehicle. But to see who was truly affected by this disaster, we talked to the man who was first on scene.
George, who asked we not give his last name, owns the property where the blast took place. He agreed to help Sandy move her son-in-law onto the property to help them out, and says the explosion took him by surprise.
"[I] saw three people flying through the wall of the motor home, and the back end of the motor home flipped up in the air - and the back wall. And a chunk of glass flew clear...way over there, and they're screaming," George recalled.
He tried to help the father, wife and son - but also tried to put out the fire, which he says was by then engulfed and being fueled by a propane tank.
Sandy who spent Thursday coming through what little was left, was clearly affected. "I don't, I mean - I can see it, but, it's not...it ain't real. It's like a dream, it's like it's not real."
The Evergreen Fire Department led the emergency response, and officials say they have learned that the cause of the blast was due to a propane leak. Besides the three individuals inside the motorhome, no one else was on the property when the explosion occurred.
George and Sandy say that for now, all they can do is try to pick up the pieces. They told is that the three family members hurt in the explosion were originally to be transported to Seattle Harborview, but fog prevented them from landing and they were taken to a Portland hospital.
Their names have not been released at this time.
9 hours ago