Posted: Oct 30, 2012 9:27 PM by MTN News
Updated: Oct 31, 2012 11:03 AM
GREAT FALLS- While Halloween can be an exciting time for children and adults, the Great Falls Animal Shelter cautions pet owners that it may be more scary than entertaining for your pets.
"Halloween noises, smells, and people in costumes can overwhelm many pets. So while you're enjoying the festivities, make sure pets have a safe haven in the house where they can feel safe, comfortable and relaxed," shelter director Jamie Bennett explained.
Bennett offered the following tips:
• Make sure that pets are wearing tags with a current ID. Opening the door repeatedly for trick-or-treaters creates plenty of escape opportunities.
• Keep candy out of pets' reach. Chocolate and other ingredients can be toxic. If you do suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
• Keep pets indoors, away from trick-or-treaters and other Halloween activities. Masks and costumes change how people look and smell to a pet, so even familiar people may become frightening.
• If you choose a costume for your pet, forgo masks and make sure costumes are comfortable and do not pose a risk for injury.
• Halloween décor can be dangerous, so keep it safely away from pets. Candle flames can set fire to their fur. Hanging or dangling decorations can be an entanglement or choking hazard.
• Leave your pet at home or in a secure environment when trick-or-treating.
(Photo from Wikipedia)