HELENA - The City of Helena is reminding residents to check their smoke and carbon monoxide (CO2 )detectors and inspect their chimneys.
Helena officials recommend having a professional check and clean your chimney each year.
Animals may have built nests in the chimney over the summer or the chimney could have experienced deterioration especially if it’s an older building.
Chief Building Official Jon Pallister says that blockages can lead to the fire robbing the home of combustion air which can have serious consequences.
“What can happen there is you’ll end up with a carbon monoxide issue potentially which has over 4,000 deaths a year annually,” said Pallister.
Daylight Saving Time is a great time to replace CO2 and smoke detector batteries and ensure the detectors are working.
If you have any gas heating such as furnaces you should check the filters as well, added Pallister.
It is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America and is virtually undetectable without using detection technology.