GREAT FALLS Organizations in and around Great Falls have stepped up to help a family whose home caught fire the day after Christmas.
Heather Amelsberg and her family had just moved and did not have homeowners insurance.
“We woke up in the middle of the night and smelled smoke. We noticed the house was on fire,” Amelsberg said.
Amelsberg and her husband quickly got their seven children out of the home and called 911. Several fire departments soon arrived.
“They were able to put the fire out. We are very blessed and grateful for the minimal amount of damage to the home,”
The fire was caused by the fireplace not being installed properly.
Since then, the family has received help from numerous agencies in the community. On Friday, Conlin's Furniture delivered couches and beds that the family lost in the fire.
“When they were using the hoses, we lost three beds. My husband and myself's bed and then my two young sons' beds. Now they have a place to sleep and we can get in sooner and be home faster,” Amelsberg said.
My Neighbor In Need, the Roof Doctor, and the Lithia car dealership are just a few of the organizations that have helped the Amelsberg family over this past month.
“It’s so overwhelming. No one knew we would get this amount of help,” Amelsberg said.
Great Falls International Airport firefighters also volunteered their time with helping repair the roof that was damaged.
“We finally had something that was ours and hopefully we can get back to that spot again where it feels like a home,” Amelsberg said.
A GoFundMe account has raised more than $11,000 dollars that will help with the repairs to the home.
They are hoping to be back in their home in a few months