Anaconda man sent to prison for 3-years for role in Oregon refug - KPAX.com | Continuous News | Missoula & Western Montana

Anaconda man sent to prison for 3-years for role in Oregon refuge standoff

Posted: Updated:

PORTLAND, OR - The Anaconda man among those charged with an armed standoff with federal law enforcement at an Oregon wildlife refuge is being ordered to spend just over three years in a federal prison. 

Ryan Payne was one of several defendants charged with the 2016 takeover at the Malheur Wildlife Refuge. In fact, prosecutors had portrayed him as one of the instigators of the standoff, which was organized to protest federal land management policies. 

Payne pleaded guilty to multiple charges in July 2016, having already spent several months in jail after being arrested during a traffic stop.

Unlike other defendants in the case, including members of the Bundy family, charges against Payne weren't dismissed. And Tuesday in Portland, Payne was sentenced to three years and one month in prison. 

The Oregonian reports Payne read a written apology in court, saying he his "youth, ignorance and arrogance" had ruined his record of military service.

However, U.S. District Judge Anna Brown had her doubts that he totally changed. She also ordered him to have no further contact with any of the others involved in the case, or the "patriot" movement. 

RELATED: Plains man cleared of charges in Oregon standoff

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Our Apologies

    The page you requested is currently unavailable. Pages on this site are constantly being revised, updated, and occasionally removed. You may have followed an outdated link or have outdated pages in your

    You have reached a page which is currently unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please use your browser's BACK button to return to the previous page

Powered by Frankly

© KPAX.com 2018, KPAX.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?