Quantcast

Snow and cold prompts natural gas safety reminder - KPAX.com | Continuous News | Missoula & Western Montana

Snow and cold prompts natural gas safety reminder

Posted: Updated:

KALISPELL -  NorthWestern Energy is reminding customers of several important safety measures after heavy snow and bitter cold has hit northwest and north-central Montana.

Natural gas customers should make sure that heating and appliance exhaust vents are clear as blockage can result in a loss of heat or possibly a build-up of deadly carbon monoxide in homes and businesses.

Additionally, if your home has a natural gas meter, carefully remove an accumulation of ice or snow on top of, or around the meter.

NorthWestern Energy also offers up the following safety reminders:

  • Make sure your natural gas meter is visible at all times and accessible
  • Avoid using a snow blower near a meter to keep from burying the meter with snow.
  • Gently remove the snow or ice around the meter with your hands or use a broom to brush it away.
  • Never kick or hit your natural gas meter or its piping with a hammer or other hard object in order to dislodge snow or ice.
  • If at any time if you smell a strong and persistent odor similar to rotten eggs, leave your home immediately and call 911.

NorthWestern Energy customers should call (888) 467-2669 if they suspect a natural gas leak, meter damage or have other concerns about their utility service.

WEATHER
Powered by Frankly

© KPAX.com 2018, KPAX.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?