Protect your home from carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted at 5:25 PM, Mar 08, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-08 19:25:40-05

WHITEFISH – Even as the weather starts to warm up around the Flathead Valley, snow and ice are still piling around exhaust vents and heating systems, which could have fatal consequences.

Whitefish Fire Chief Joe Paige tells MTN that snow blocks vents and covers heating systems, preventing carbon monoxide from being cycled out of your home. This could result in a deadly buildup of carbon monoxide inside the home.

Paige says to regularly check your carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they could alert you to a carbon monoxide emergency. If you don’t have detectors in your home, purchase some immediately as it could save your life.

Paige tells us what home owners should do if you suspect carbon monoxide is in your home.

“If the alarms do go off, they should leave their home and call 9-1-1 and have it checked out. We’ll go in, we have meters that can check for the CO and then we can get the proper utility company out there,” Paige says.

Gas meters also need to be kept cleared of snow and ice. If they become blocked, gas can leak into your home.