MISSOULA — Every year the KPAX Sports Awards Banquet celebrates Missoula's stand-out high school athletes.
Each year 10 athletes are nominated by the five area schools, two athletes per school.
On the night of the banquet a male and female winner are chosen, with a $1000 scholarship prize going to each.
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, KPAX will unfortunately not be able to hold the banquet, but the awards will still happen.
On the night of May 13, KPAX will announce the winners on the 5:30 News.
Inaugurated by the late John Campbell in 1981 as the Old Pro Award, it now is named after Campbell - longtime Missoula sportscaster and sportswriter who helped start the original banquet- and the late Edward J. Buzzetti, who coached and taught in Circle and Missoula high schools for 39 years. It goes to a person who has given freely of time and effort in support of Missoula sport. The award is sponsored by Republic Services.
Here’s a look at the past recipients of the Campbell-Buzzetti Award:
- 1981 Deane Jones/Gordon Reynolds
- 1982 Chawkey Miller/Tony Kadlec
- 1983 Bugs Dwyer/Bill Hainline, Sr.
- 1984 Tom Murray/Whitey Garnaas
- 1985 Gene Clawson, Sr./George Blakeslee
- 1986 Joe Dugal/Leo Musburger
- 1987 Rev. Beryl Burr/Ty Robinson
- 1988 Vern Reynolds/Jack Hoon
- 1989 Ralph Soroos/Ben Tyvand
- 1990 Don Gray
- 1991 Jack Henry
- 1992 Gene Miles
- 1993 Vince Wilson
- 1994 Bill Morrison
- 1996 Paul Chumrau
- 1997 Bill Bouchee
- 1998 Bob LaTrielle
- 1999 Sherm Lohn
- 2000 Frank McElwain
- 2002 Dale Dahlgren
- 2003 Mavis Lorenz / Sister Rita Mudd
- 2004 Tim Cordial / Lanny Bryant
- 2005 Hal Sherbeck
- 2006 Chris Walterskirchen
- 2007 Glen Kozeluh/Kevin Hammond
- 2008 Dennis Murphy/Steve Hackney
- 2009 Ray Nose
- 2010 Dick Huse
- 2011 Lino Marsillo
- 2012 Fred Salmonsen
- 2013 Tom Lee
- 2014 Kathy Ogren
- 2015 Bill Reynolds
- 2016 Jim Jarrett
- 2017 Gary Roberts
- 2018 Tim McHugh (Posthumous) / Sylvia Jensen / Julie Gemar-Williams
- 2019 Nancy Deden