NewsMontana News


A Waiting Child: Nevaeh

Posted at 11:27 AM, Oct 12, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-12 13:27:48-04

Meet 14-year-old Nevaeh, who is this month's A Waiting Child.

Nevaeh, who lives in Great Falls, is an excellent student whose favorite subjects in school are math and art. She also plays volleyball. "It's a really big coping skill," she said.

She's a dog lover with an infectious smile and laugh. But she's been through a lot for a 14-year-old. "I've never really had a good family experience," she said. "I've been adopted once and got taken away, but like I said, I've never really had that good a foster family experience, so I'm hoping for a good one."

She's open to any type of family — with lots of siblings, a few or none at all. Until then, she's staying positive.

"There's a huge light at the end of the tunnel," she said.

You can contact the Montana Department of Public Health & Human Services for information about adoption and/or fostering at 1-866-9-FOSTER (1-866-936-7837).

Children who are available for adoption through the Child & Family Services Division of the DPHHS have been removed from their own families because of abuse, neglect, or other family problems that make it unsafe for them to remain at home. The rights of their parents have been terminated making the children available for adoption.

Who May Adopt? Either married couples or single adults who have an approved pre-placement evaluation or adoptive home study may adopt in the State of Montana.

How do I get a home study? If you live in Montana, you may begin the process by contacting your county office of Child and Family Services. If you live outside of Montana, contact your state or local office that provide these services.

What about training? Montana Child and Family Services require and provide special training to all of our foster and adoptive parents. The training is offered at various times and places around the State of Montana. If you live in Montana, information is available from your county CFS office. If you live outside of Montana, contact your state or local office that provides these services.

Click here to learn more about child adoption in Montana.