NewsMissoula County


Faulty toaster blamed for weekend Missoula house fire

Posted at 8:34 AM, Jun 04, 2019
and last updated 2019-06-04 10:37:33-04

MISSOULA – Fire investigators have determined what sparked a weekend fire that damaged a Missoula home.

Missoula Rural Fire District Assistant Chief of Operations Paul Finlay says that Sunday’s blaze in the 2300 block was sparked by a faulty toaster.

Crews were called out at approximately 9:45 a.m. on Sunday and arrived to find heavy smoke showing from the front of the home and flames blowing out a window in the rear.

Finlay says the fire caused extensive damage to the kitchen and attic, with smoke, heat, and water damage in other areas of the home. Damage is estimated at $75,000 with $225,000 in property saved.

The homeowners reported that they had been having problems with their toaster recently and that they had been using it just prior to the fire before leaving for church services, but they did not check on it before leaving, according to Finlay.