MISSOULA — Missoula County will mail tax bills to all property owners in the county by Monday, Oct. 28, and they are already available online.
Tax payments for the first half of the year are due by 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 2.
Tax payments are currently being accepted and online payments may be made via credit card, debit card or electronic check. Service fees apply when paying online.
Taxes can be paid:
- By mail: Clerk and Treasurer’s Office, 200 W. Broadway St., Missoula MT, 59802
- Online: www.missoulataxes.us
- In person: Missoula County Courthouse Annex, 200 W. Broadway St., Missoula
- Courthouse drop box: located in the west parking lot
To access tax bills online:
- Visit www.missoulataxes.us
- Search by last name, property address, geo code or taxpayer ID
- After the query has run, click “Detail” to view a pie chart that breaks down taxes among the different jurisdictions
Because Missoula County collects taxes for all taxing jurisdictions within the county, property owners will likely see a portion of their taxes supporting several jurisdictions and districts.
For example, Missoula County and the City of Missoula each set their own budgets and tax rates, and property taxes also support local school districts.
Additionally, property taxes fund special districts that provide services like fire protection, bus service, irrigation, water and sewer.
A portion of property taxes also supports schools statewide, including the Montana University System.
If property owners have specific questions regarding their tax bills, it’s important that they contact the appropriate jurisdiction.
Here are the six largest taxing jurisdictions likely to appear on a tax bill in Missoula County:
- Missoula County Public Schools: 406-728-2400, ext. 1024
- City of Missoula: 406-552-6122
- Missoula County: 406-258-4847
- Missoula Urban Transportation District (Mountain Line): 406-543-8386
- Missoula Rural Fire District: 406-549-6172
- Montana University System: 406-449-9124
Contact information for more taxing jurisdictions in Missoula County is online at http://missoula.co/taxjurisdictions. More information on tax bills and payments is available at http://missoula.co/propertytaxinfo.