Family of man found in barrel works to find closure

Posted at 10:10 AM, Jul 28, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-28 12:10:25-04

Click here for updates on this story

    Chula Vista (KGTV) — Family of the man found in a barrel in San Diego Bay, near Chula Vista, is working toward closure two years after he went missing.

Omar Medina’s body was found on October 12 after a diver found a white, 55-gallon drum floating in the bay. According to police, the drum was anchored with cinder blocks.

His sister, Alicia Villegas, said she’s been the rock for the family, supporting her mom and children. She’s the oldest of three and stepped in as an extra parent growing up, as they didn’t have a father. “This is the thing I cared about most growing up, he [Omar] was like a child to me,” she said.

Thinking about her 28-year-old brother, she dreams of what could have been, “going to his wedding, I miss not meeting my nieces and nephews, I miss not having cousins for my kids.” She spoke for the first time, publicly, this year at Chula Vista Police’s Evening with Heroes fundraiser.

“Once they came in I felt a weight lifted off my shoulder[s] and that’s what they’ve meant to me, they have definitely been that strength I’m not,” she said they showed her family kindness and empathy.

“[Detectives] who put their photo on their desk and said they’re out there. They’re going to find who’s responsible for killing Omar,” Chief of CVPD, Roxana Kennedy said.

“I slept under this very table here in the office because that’s how important it is and how much dedication we need to put in these cases,” Sergeant Lavar Brown said in a video played during the fundraiser.

Chief Kennedy explained the annual event funds programs the department would otherwise have to do without, “for instance our Canine program, our Senior Volunteer program, our Explorer program,” she said their innovative Drone program is also funded through donation dollars.

The work they did on Medina’s case, will felt by the family long after it’s closed.

“I know I’m just a kid,” Omar’s nephew Arturo Jr. said at the podium, “but what happened to my uncle hurts me just as much as it did the rest of my family and I’m glad I got to share it with you.” He said he was thankful for CVPD.

T wo men were arrested in connection with Omar’s death , they will stand trial in October.

Please note: This content carries a strict local market embargo. If you share the same market as the contributor of this article, you may not use it on any platform.