A Waiting Child: Maleaha

Posted at 8:50 PM, Sep 08, 2019

This month's "A Waiting Child" features Maleaha. She is an energetic, fun-loving, 11-year-old girl, who is more than meets the eye.

Maleaha is happy to be starting sixth grade this year, because she hates being bored at home.

“Because I’m not really much of a stay at home person. I’m an early riser," Maleaha said.

Maleaha enjoys being active. From wake boarding and basketball, to track and cheerleading - she's willing to try anything fun. But her favorite by far is gymnastics.

“It’s just the technique and how cool it looks," said Maleaha. "It’s flipping, and you’re so proud of yourself because you finally accomplished what you wanted to do.”

She is driven, that's for sure. And Maleaha has a favorite animal, but it's not whay you may expect from an 11-year-old girl.

“Well it’s not really much of an animal or a mammal," Maleaha said. "It has no fur. It has eight legs and it has an abdomen and a head with six to eight eyes.”

Did you guess? The correct answer: a spider. And she's got a good reason why.

“They’re just animals," said Maleaha. "I don’t think they could hurt much people. They would only hurt people if you don’t leave them alone.”

In a forever home, Maleaha would like to have a few siblings and a dog.

She wants a family that has reasonable expectations, and is willing to talk rather than yell to resolve problems.

“I don’t like to get in trouble or yelled at a whole bunch," Maleaha said. "But, people who like to talk and not yell.”

You can contact the Montana Department of Health and Human Services for information about adoption and/or fostering at 1-866-9-FOSTER (1-866-936-7837).

Children who are available for adoption through the Child & Family Services Division of the DPHHS have been removed from their own families because of abuse, neglect, or other family problems that make it unsafe for them to remain at home.

The rights of their parents have been terminated making the children available for adoption.

Who May Adopt? Either married couples or single adults who have an approved pre-placement evaluation or adoptive home study may adopt in the State of Montana.

How do I get a home study? If you live in Montana, you may begin the process by contacting your county office of Child and Family Services. If you live outside of Montana, contact your state or local office that provide these services.

What about training? Montana Child and Family Services require and provide special training to all of our foster and adoptive parents. The training is offered at various times and places around the State of Montana. If you live in Montana, information is available from your county CFS office . If you live outside of Montana, contact your state or local office that provides these services.

Click here to learn more about child adoption in Montana.