Missoula TJ Maxx store evacuated after fire on roof

Posted at 8:22 AM, Apr 27, 2018
and last updated 2018-04-27 10:22:26-04

MISSOULA – The T.J. Maxx store on North Reserve Street was evacuated for about an hour on Thursday evening following reports of smoke on the roof of the building.

Missoula City Fire Department Battalion Chief Kip Knapstead says crews responded to the scene at about 6:40 p.m., entered the building and went up on the roof where they cut into it with a chainsaw.

Knapstead said a four-by-five square foot area of insulation and foam was burned and that the flames caused about $5,000  worth of damage. Fire officials have not yet determined what sparked the fire.

Three fire engines a dozen firefighters and several other agencies all responded to the scene. No injuries have been reported.