NewsMontana News


Montana woman dies from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

Incident occurred Sunday morning in Bozeman
Posted at 11:44 AM, Dec 30, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-31 14:19:21-05

An elderly woman died in Bozeman Sunday from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning that also injured a second woman, whose status is currently unknown.

The Bozeman fire and police departments responded to 11th and Babcock around 11:15 a.m. Sunday for reports of a strange odor, according to a news release.

Upon arrival, responders found the two women inside and removed them from the residence.

The release said they were likely experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning from a car left running in an attached garage.

The elderly woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

The second woman was transported to Bozeman Deaconess Health; her condition is not known at this time.

The release said carbon monoxide levels were found to be as high as 360 parts per million inside the residence.

OSHA and the US Centers for Disease Control list 50 parts per million as an elevated or dangerous level of carbon monoxide.

The death is being investigated by the Gallatin County Coroner’s Office.