NewsMissoula County


Details emerge in fatal Missoula officer involved shooting

State investigators are investigating the incident
Missoula Police Shooting Investigation.jpg
Missoula Police Shooting
Missoula Police Shooting2.jpg
Posted at 9:39 AM, Sep 04, 2019
and last updated 2019-09-04 16:22:49-04

MISSOULA — The Montana Department of Justice continues to investigate an officer involved shooting that left a 35-year-old man dead and two Missoula Police officers on administrative leave.

Authorities say Steven Gill, 35, of Missoula died after he suffered gunshot wounds during an altercation with police in the area of Second Street North and A Street.

Law enforcement received a suspicious activity call in the area at 4:40 p.m. on Monday and when officers arrived on scene they attempted to talk with Steven Gill which caused an altercation that lead to shots being fired.

Gill was struck and while it's still unclear how many times, he was transported to Saint Patrick Hospital where he died due to his wounds.

Missoula Police Chief Mike Brady requested the Department of Justice help investigate the matter to provide a different perspective on the incident while MPD also continues to investigate.

The DOJ is still in the early part of their investigation but they do say they have some witnesses that they are interviewing about the event.


"I believe in this situation there were witnesses to the overall situation -- and as far as who witnessed what specifically, that again that's part of the investigation to determine who saw what when and where," Montana DOJ spokesman Jon Barnes told MTN News.

No officers were injured during the confrontation but two will be placed on administrative leave. Missoula Police spokesman Sgt. Travis Welsh and Barnes both say that's standard practice for this kind of incident.

They also say that MPD will continue to investigate the suspicious activity that the original call was sent out -- which in MPD’s press release is described as possible drug activity.

Once the DOJ completes its investigation, it will turn over the findings to the Missoula County Attorney's office who will determine if charges will be filed in connection with the incident.