NewsMontana News


Reward now up to $1,200 for information about threat at Havre High School

Posted at 2:42 PM, Nov 20, 2018
and last updated 2018-11-20 13:42:09-05
Havre High School
Havre High School (MTN News file photo)

A reward of $1,200 is being offered by Havre/Hill County Crimestoppers for information about a threat to Havre High School.

The initial amount of the reward was $200, but community donations pushed the total to $900 last week. The Havre Police Department on Tuesday announced that it had again been increased, and is now at $1,200.

On Monday, November 12, a threat was left in the boy’s bathroom at the high school. A school staff member reported to the administration that a specific threat was written on the wall of the boys’ bathroom, according to the school’s website. As a result, classes at the high school were canceled for Tuesday, November 13.

Officials have not released any details concerning the exact nature of the threat. School resumed on Wednesday, November 14, with safety measures in place.

Anyone with information or knowledge leading to the arrest or conviction of the suspect(s) will be eligible for a reward. Individuals with information is asked to call CRIMESTOPPERS at 406-265-4444. All callers will remain anonymous.

Last week, police in Havre increased their presence at the high school due to a possible threat after a “cryptic message” was found written on the wall of a bathroom on Wednesday afternoon.

A similar incident in February 2018 also caused a brief evacuation of Havre Middle School.

Also this week, police arrested student Dyllan James Murray, who reportedly yelled “school shooting” while in the Havre High School library. Murray, 18 years old, was arrested on two charges: assault by coercion, intimidation, or threat; and disorderly conduct.

“Officers had learned while Murray was in the library of the school, Murray yelled ‘School Shooting!’ Murray was escorted to the principal’s office where he persisted in a disruptive behavior,” according to a press release from the Havre Police Department.

Murray was taken to the Hill County Detention Center, where as of Thursday he was being held without bond.

The investigation into that incident is being reviewed by the Hill County Attorney for consideration of formal charges.

-David Sherman reporting for MTN News