NewsMontana News


Gas leak at Butte hotel sends 16 to the hospital

Posted at 10:33 AM, Jul 14, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-14 12:36:42-04

BUTTE – At least 16 people were taken to the hospital Saturday morning after high carbon monoxide and natural gas levels reportedly made several guests at the Quality Inn and Suites Hotel ill.

The Butte Fire Department and crews and NorthWestern Energy were called to the hotel on Cornell Avenue at about 7:30 a.m. on Saturday after carbon monoxide was detected.

A section of the hotel was evacuated and some guests were taken to St. James Healthcare to be evaluated.

Once after officials determined it was safe, the guests returned later in the afternoon after some guests and staff reported more side effects.

Officials believe the situation was caused by a faulty boiler in the hotel

“The appliance that’s causing the issue has been isolated and shutdown, there’s no readings of carbon monoxide currently in the facility,” Butte Fire Chief Jeff Miller said.

“So, we’re not sure if people are thinking they’re having symptoms or they’re residual effects from earlier, but at this time there doesn’t appear to be a problem, everything is safe,” he added.

Chief Miller added that the leak was not caused by a gas line rupture.