The Blackfeet Nation Food Groups met and developed food resources for the reservation.
They brought together three organizations to help fight hunger in their community. Those organizations are Fast Blackfeet-O'yo'p' Food Pantry, Blackfeet Food Distribution Program, and Piikani Lodge Health Institute.
Danielle Antelope, the O'yop' Food Pantry Manager, says this is a critical time to help with feeding those in need.
"Right now, during COVID, we have so many kids that are home, and those parents have to cover all the meals every day, all day, so we understand that food is a real need right now," she explained.
"Living in a food desert where food costs more, you're less likely to buy healthy food so through our pantry we provide food from different food groups so that we can help with balanced meals and the folks that come to our pantry," Antelope continued.
They are encouraging families in need to please give them a call.
- Blackfeet Food Distribution: WEEKLY & BIWEEKLY FOOD GIVEAWAYS TO COMMUNITY Program contact: Earl Heavy Runner, Jennifer DuBray, email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.BlackfeetNation.com (406) 338-7340 Cell (406) 229-0692
- Medicine Bear Shelter: Contact: Mercedes Old Person, (406) 338-7842, STARTING July 21CLEANING SUPPLIES, PERSONAL HYGIENE, offering boxes of cleaning supplies, personal hygiene, and care items, starting Tuesday, July 21. You may call and set up a pickup or drop off.email: email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org (406) 338-7842
- FAST Blackfeet, O'yo'p' Food Pantry: Located at Medicine Bear Shelter. Open on Mondays & Thursdays 3-5:30 pm. Pantry contact: Danielle Antelope, Program contacts: Nonie Woolf, Cindy Salway, & Mackenzie Sachs, Emergency food source, outlying community outreach and nutrition education, email: email@example.com (406) 845-2404
- Piikani Lodge Health Institute: Contact : Keith Wetselline, Delivery Service. (406)845-4698 https://www.piikanilodge.org/(406) 845-4698
Other helping organizations include:
- Browning Public Schools: Lynn Kennan at email: firstname.lastname@example.org and her office phone number is 406-338-7952.
- Four Winds Assembly: Pastor Joel Toppen, (406)338-3077, offering community service & assistance as requested by families, email: email@example.com
- Running Wolf Family: contact: Janal, donates and receives donations for Blackfeet families, volunteers time & personal resources, will help whenever possible. Contact via email.