WHITEFISH — Health professionals say the wetter, longer summer caused mold to be the number one fall allergen in Northwest Montana this year.
Carrie Bates with North Valley Hospital says those with mold sensitivity can have asthmatic symptoms and other allergen flare ups.
While mold spores may not be visible to the naked eye, Bates said the spores can live on home surfaces and cause irritations.
She suggests combining 10 percent bleach with water in a spray bottle and frequently spraying home surface areas.
“We don’t always see molds, so spraying off counter tops, cleaning bathroom areas where lots of germs like to live and grow,” Bates said.
“Another thing is if you have piles of leaves and things like that, those can generate mold spores, and those mold spores can get into the air.”
If sensitive to mold, Bates suggests raking leaves quickly and not allowing them to sit in piles.
The longer the leaves sit, the more moisture and mold can grow.