Burn permits required from May 1 - June 30 in Flathead and Northern Lake Counties

Open Burning
Posted at 4:05 PM, Apr 15, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-15 18:05:33-04

MISSOULA — Starting on May 1 burn permits will be required to burn debris if you live in the Flathead and Northern Lake Counties.

The permits are free and will last throughout the entire burn season.

The DNRC is strongly encouraging that people with internet access, get their permits online to avoid contact.

Here are some reminders from the DNRC ahead of the season:

- Debris burning seasons are for burning natural vegetative yard and agricultural debris. No man-made materials or trade-waste is allowed. Call Flathead County Environmental Health at 751-8130 with questions about Trade Waste permits.
- Air Quality compliance is required for every burn. Before you light your fire, call 751-8144 or check for the daily Ventilation and Burning Forecast.
- Build piles of manageable size and in areas clear of surrounding or overhanging vegetation.
- Piles should be built of dry materials so they burn clean and fast. Refrain from burning wet grass or material that will smolder and produce excess smoke.
- Check the local weather forecast and do not light your fire if windy conditions are predicted. This is the number one reason that debris burns escape, as one gusty switch in wind direction can quickly turn a debris burn into an out of control grass fire.
- Do not leave your fire unattended and have enough water, tools, and people on site to put out your fire if necessary. Your fire is not out until it is cold to the touch.
- Call 911 immediately if your fire does burn out of control.
- Burning is not allowed within city limits of Kalispell, Whitefish, or Columbia Falls.

To attain a permit click here.