NewsLocal NewsFlathead County


Cause of fire on Flathead Valley Community College campus released

Founders Hall.png
Posted at 5:45 PM, Apr 20, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-20 20:50:54-04

KALISPELL — New details have emerged from an early morning fire that broke out Sunday in a dormitory at Flathead Valley Community College in Kalispell.

Flathead Valley Community College president Jane Karas tells MTN News the fire started in a garbage can in a student’s dorm room in Founders Hall.

Karas said one wing of the dormitory suffered fire and water damage due to the activated sprinkler system.

A dozen students have been relocated to other rooms within the building and emergency funds are available helping affected students replace items that suffered water damage.

Karas added that the quick response from the Kalispell Fire Department helped limit the fire’s damage.

“Just very thankful for the quick response of the fire department and the excellent work of our staff to provide the needed support and assistance to our students,” said Karas.

At capacity, Founders Hall can house up to 125 students. Only 40 students were in the building at the time of the fire.