WHITEFISH - Two Flathead Valley homes that were damaged this week in devastating fires are considered to be total losses.
A home in the Forest Acres Mobile Home Park between Whitefish and Kalispell caught on fire on Dec. 3.
Fire crews arrived at the scene and were able to extinguish the fire, but the structure will most likely be a total loss.
All of the people involved were safe and unharmed several animals inside the home were lost.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
Firefighters also responded to a house fire southwest of Kalispell last Sunday on Coyote Canyon Road.
The family and their animals were able to safely escape the home without injury, but the home is a total loss
MTN News talked with the Whitefish Fire Department to see why house fires are so common this time of year.
“Typically, nationwide, structure fires go up in numbers throughout the winter because of, you know, people heating. During the holiday season, they've got decorations up. We like to remind folks that, you know, be cognizant with space heaters, watch your carbon monoxide levels and have detectors that are working. With Christmas decorations, a lot of extra plugins and extension cords. So really mind your wiring and turn those off before you go to bed at night." - Whitefish Fire Department firefighter and paramedic Ben Fassnacht