MISSOULA — As we ring in the New Year, here is a look back at the most-viewed local KPAX stories, videos and Facebook posts for 2020.
Top 8 Stories at kpax.com
1) Missoula Journalist writes a book about the most ‘evil’ town in Montana
Longtime Missoula journalist and broadcaster Jim Harmon recently did something he’d never done before — he wrote a book, one that shines a light on his profession and Missoula’s rough and tumble days of the late 1800s. Jill Valley reported the story on Dec. 25.
2) Glacier National Park to remove all ‘glaciers will be gone by 2020’ signs
Glacier National Park officials decided to remove signs that stated all glaciers in the park would be melted by 2020. A new analysis of scientific data prompted the decision.
3) Stimulus checks: Some Social Security recipients to get checks starting today
This May 18, 2020 story broke down who would begin receiving checks from the federal government and when.
4) Gov. Bullock issues stay at home directive for Montana
Life changed for many Montanans on March 26 when Gov. Steve Bullock issued a stay-at-home order due the COVID-19 pandemic. At the time, Montana joined 18 other states across the country in issuing a stay-at-home order.
5) Could wearing a cloth mask put you at risk for increased levels of CO2?
This May 6, 2020 story featured an interview with Kalispell Regional Hospital Chief Medical Officer Dr. Doug Nelson who told us that there is no scientific evidence of negative health effects of wearing a cloth mask for healthy individuals.
6) Caught on camera: Grizzly bear in Yellowstone NP makes feast of bull elk
There are always spectacular sites to see in Yellowstone National Park, but one is really captured in late September when a grizzly bear was seen enjoying a long picnic after drowning a huge bull elk and pulling it to the side of the Yellowstone River.
7) Ex-Navy SEAL and Butte native who says he killed Osama bin Laden banned from Delta
This August 20, 2020 story was about the former Navy SEAL and Butte native who claims he's the one who killed Osama bin Laden during a 2011 raid Robert O'Neill tweeted that he had been banned from Delta Air Lines for not wearing a mask.
8) Montana sets another record for single-day COVID-19 cases
Back on July 10, 2020, a new single-day record (at the time) of 127 new COVID-19 cases was reported. Additionally, Ravalli County reported its first COVID-19 related death.
Top 8 Videos at kpax.com
1) Gov. Bullock tells Montanans to stay at home due to COVID-19
2) Could wearing a cloth mask put you at risk for increased levels of CO2?
3) Caught on camera: Grizzly bear in Yellowstone NP makes feast of bull elk
4) Montana COVID-19 update – July 10, 2020
5) “Yellowstone” series to move filming production to Missoula and western Montana
6) Northern Lights Forecast for December 9
7) Whitefish man charged after confrontation during George Floyd death protest
8) Grizzly bear captured feasting on downed elk in Yellowstone Park
Top 8 local KPAX Facebook posts (by interactions)
1) The road to recovery has come full circle for an American icon. Story + pics here:
2) It looks like we will have several chances to see the northern lights starting tonight!
3) AMBER Alert issued for abducted 6-month-old baby
4) Face masks required in Missoula County
5) Yellowstone TV series wrapping up filming at Community Medical Center
6) Goats at Sperry Chalet
7) Missing Endangered Person: 16 year-old girl last seen between Billings and Hardin
8) Yellowstone TV series films in downtown Missoula