HELENA — There were 1,096 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases reported in Montana on Wednesday, and the statewide death toll reached 739, according to data compiled by MTN News during a 24-hour period.
Newly confirmed cases are being reported in Flathead, Lake, Lincoln, Mineral, Missoula, Powell, Ravalli and Sanders counties.
There are currently 15,622 active cases in the state, and there has been a cumulative total of 64,811 cases of the virus in Montana, MTN News reports. Of the total cases, 48,450 have recovered.
There are currently 478 people hospitalized, and the cumulative number of total hospitalizations is 2,733.
The number of tests performed in the state has reached 663,581, an increase of 2,686 during the previous 24-hour reporting period.
The numbers reported by MTN reflect the latest data from the Montana COVID website, along with supplemental data received from county health departments.
TOTAL/NEW/ACTIVE CASES (state data)
- Gallatin County Cases: 7,587 Total | 147 New | 539 Active
- Yellowstone County Cases: 11,290 Total | 147 New | 4,701 Active
- Lewis and Clark County Cases: 3,070 Total | 137 New | 1,459 Active
- Flathead County Cases: 6,986 Total | 98 New | 2,000 Active
- Cascade County Cases: 5,237 Total | 72 New | 2,237 Active
- Missoula County Cases: 4,848 Total | 56 New | 1,278 Active
- Silver Bow County Cases: 2,262 Total | 33 New | 671 Active
- Ravalli County Cases: 1,585 Total | 23 New | 543 Active
- Dawson County Cases: 670 Total | 22 New | 57 Active
- Jefferson County Cases: 518 Total | 17 New | 90 Active
- Hill County Cases: 1,369 Total | 16 New | 151 Active
- Lake County Cases: 1,101 Total | 15 New | 163 Active
- Teton County Cases: 215 Total | 13 New | 42 Active
- Chouteau County Cases: 287 Total | 11 New | 42 Active
- Roosevelt County Cases: 1,256 Total | 9 New | 69 Active
- Deer Lodge County Cases: 741 Total | 8 New | 37 Active
- McCone County Cases: 108 Total | 8 New | 12 Active
- Sweet Grass County Cases: 265 Total | 8 New | 32 Active
- Big Horn County Cases: 1,817 Total | 7 New | 213 Active
- Carter County Cases: 121 Total | 7 New | 10 Active
- Fergus County Cases: 650 Total | 7 New | 183 Active
- Powell County Cases: 719 Total | 7 New | 120 Active
- Beaverhead County Cases: 578 Total | 6 New | 32 Active
- Blaine County Cases: 535 Total | 6 New | 28 Active
- Musselshell County Cases: 224 Total | 5 New | 48 Active
- Richland County Cases: 712 Total | 5 New | 312 Active
- Carbon County Cases: 599 Total | 4 New | 36 Active
- Custer County Cases: 755 Total | 4 New | 65 Active
- Judith Basin County Cases: 65 Total | 4 New | 38 Active
- Park County Cases: 670 Total | 4 New | 154 Active
- Pondera County Cases: 313 Total | 4 New | 38 Active
- Rosebud County Cases: 886 Total | 4 New | 29 Active
- Sheridan County Cases: 285 Total | 4 New | 31 Active
- Lincoln County Cases: 770 Total | 3 New | 153 Active
- Broadwater County Cases: 199 Total | 2 New | 39 Active
- Mineral County Cases: 76 Total | 2 New | 23 Active
- Sanders County Cases: 261 Total | 2 New | 30 Active
- Valley County Cases: 567 Total | 2 New | 38 Active
- Wheatland County Cases: 106 Total | 2 New | 16 Active
- Daniels County Cases: 123 Total | 1 New | 24 Active
- Fallon County Cases: 249 Total | 1 New | 23 Active
- Liberty County Cases: 94 Total | 1 New | 20 Active
- Meagher County Cases: 110 Total | 1 New | 1 Active
- Stillwater County Cases: 447 Total | 1 New | 85 Active
- Toole County Cases: 600 Total | 1 New | 11 Active
NOTE: The disparity between state data from the Department of Public Health and Human Services (DPHHS) and local data from county health departments continues to grow as COVID-19 cases escalate in Montana. MTN has decided to use a combination of these sources to deliver more accurate information across all media platforms. Local county health departments may be alerted to cases before DPHHS. As those counties share that information with the public, MTN feels it should be reflected in our reporting. Using that local data means there will be times when MTN coronavirus data does not align with the state report. Click here for the Montana COVID site.
RESTRICTIONS: Tighter statewide restrictions went into effect on Nov. 20 due to the continuing increase in the number of cases and deaths. Masks will be required in all counties regardless of the number of active cases. Capacity at restaurants, bars, and casinos will be reduced to 50%, with a limit of six people per table. The businesses must close by 10 p.m. Public gatherings will also be limited to 25 people where social distancing is not possible. Click here to read the full text of the directive.
CONTEXT: Not every person who tests positive actually becomes ill or exhibits symptoms. Many do not; of those who do become sick, some experience mild symptoms and do not require hospitalization. Others, however, do require hospitalization, as noted in the daily update on the number of people hospitalized. However, every person who tests positive for COVID-19 has the potential to spread the virus to other people, including family members and friends, which is why public health officials continue to encourage everyone to wear a mask and maintain at least the recommended six feet of "social distance" when in public. The CDC released data in late August which emphasizes that people with contributing or chronic medical conditions are at much greater risk of dying from COVID-19. Click here to read more.
Click here for information on how to contact county or tribal health departments.